Saturday 14 February 2015

Week Two

Well, this week is a short one and a bit of a wash already but we’re still doing our best to stick to this meal planning effort. Our Toronto trip of last weekend went the way of Canadian winter storms and had us barely sleeping above the beep of the weather alerts coming off the iPad. We managed to keep a head of most of it, enjoyed a nice tour of the Jackson Triggs winery and a pleasant drive the following morning, but we got completely overrun by Sunday evening and Toronto. One late checkout later and a white knuckle drive counting stalled and overturned cars down the 401, we ended up overnighting in Kingston Monday and finally made it home on Tuesday. 

Dinner in the Kingston Delta restaurant was great. A window seat overlooking the water and a nearly full moon climbing a blessedly clear sky. 





So it’ll be a short week, starting with a very late dinner Tuesday since Rujira had to cover her hours despite our late arrival and so was in the office till 8:00. 


Tuesday
  • Grilled cheese with pear, bacon and caramelized onions, and Boston lettuce salad with cucumbers, green onions and sesame seeds

Wednesday
  • White bean soup with pancetta (starter and lunches)
  • Mussels and shrimp with fettuccine

Thursday
  • Sweet and spicy beef jerky (for snacking)
  • Pork, ginger and cabbage stuffed dumplings with chicken curry



Tuesday

Talk about fails. After the drive back from our weekend, I’d planned a simple dinner. Tasty ingredients, and bacon, what could go wrong? Nothing much, you’d guess, but you’ll need to take my word for it because I didn’t take any pictures. 
At Niagara on the Lake we’d stuck our heads into a small cheese shop to warm up and left with five nice little selections, including an aged balsamic cheese. My dinner plan revolved around this cheese. I thought it would pair nicely with pear and yield a savoury sandwich that’d complement a crisp vinegary salad nicely. 

The only trick here is to cook the bacon first, caramilize a little onion in the fat, and then assemble a bacon, pear, onion and cheese sandwich to be grilled in the same skillet. I start with the heat low, flip quickly to be sure each side is coated in a bit of fat (we keep the butter in the fridge, so I don’t bother buttering the outside of the bread and risk tearing it apart) and then cook at a low heat with a lid on until the cheese warm and mets and binds everything together. Once I’m sure the sandwiches won’t start falling apart, the heat is increased to get a nice colour on the bread and I flip and press the sandwiches flat with the spatula. 

The salad is Boston lettuce, cucumber and sesame seeds. I’d usually add some citrus or something but we’ve got that covered with the pear in the sandwiches. For a vinaigrette, I use an immersion blender to roughly mix and chop a finely diced green onion, a small handful of flat-leafed parsley, salt, pepper and a dash of dried tarragon with some olive oil and a tablespoon-ish serving of white wine vinegar. It yields a tasty green, herby sauce I coat the salad with myself before serving, tossing with my hands to make sure the leaves are properly covered. 

It’s a late dinner, and we eat in front of some Netflix. 

Before we go to sleep, I remember to cover 2 1/2 cups of dried great white northern bean with water in a bowl I set aside on the counter. We go to sleep dreaming about tomorrow’s soup. 


Wednesday

Today’s a bit of a prep day, where soup is made with an eye towards days of warming lunches and beef is marinated for the guilty pleasure of jerky.

Supper itself takes very little time, but we’ll start with the prep.

Beef jerky. Where has this been all my life? Rujira and I have started gorging ourselves on it during long drives between Montreal and Toronto. Salty, beefy goodness. I tried making it at home once last year, and it was a success, maybe slightly over-salty, but that didn’t stop us from eating our way through two pounds of the stuff. 

For this outing, I got a 1 kilo piece of rump steak. I froze it for about an hour to make slicing it easier. Once ready, with a sharp knife, I trimmed off the fat as much as I could, and cut against the grain to yield nice quarter-inch thick slices.  

The recipe I’m using is basically from “Food and Wine,” honestly, my go-to spot for ideas. Mix together 1 1/2 cups of strong coffee and Coke, 2 cups of soya sauce, pepper, two star anise pods, a spoonful of sriracha sauce and a clove or two of garlic. I added extra red pepper flakes. Because of the saltiness last time trying this, I have opted for reduced sodium soya sauce and I’m not salting the marinade. I figure we can salt after the fact, if really needed. 

I’ve got this all mixed in a corning ware dish. The beef is added, the dish is covered, and I do my best to forget about it until tomorrow. 

For the soup, I pat myself on the back for remembering to soak the beens the evening before. I saute a thinly sliced onion, add some pancetta (we got a nice 8-dollar piece at half price from the same cheese place in Niagara on the Lake that yielded the backbone of Tuesday supper), and cook it for a few minutes with plenty of garlic. 

Now, my idea is to really just showcase beens and pancetta, but I want a bit of veggie goodness in there in an non-distracting way. I throw two celery stalks in nearly whole. Same thing for two carrots. The idea is to fish them out after everything cooks down for an hour or more. I fetch the dregs of some fresh herbs and throw them in the same way, not bothering to chop. I will fish them out, too. I’ve saved the stalks from some sage I’d bought the week before and have a few sprigs of oregano. I add the beans, salt, and cover with chicken stock. I simmer with the lid on for a good hour, maybe more. My final addition is some parmesan rind to add a punch of flavor. 

I’ve decided the consistency is a bit soupier than I want, so I’m going to thicken. Using the food processor, I’ve reduced a cauliflower head to the consistency of bread crumbs. Cauliflower was on sale. I want to freeze some for a soup down the line, and I’ll add a good cup or so to the pasta later, but I figure it won’t hurt to bolster the soup with another cup. There’s enough to go around. After another 30 minutes, the broth has cooked down and the beans are starting to loose their consistency. 

I fish out the veggie chunks, the herb stalks, and the parmesan rind. More stock is added, and I take the soup off the heat. When I warm it up for supper, I’ll add maybe more stock and about a cup of cream (maybe more pepper). 



With all that behind me, I bide my time till dinner. Supper revolves around mussels, and I expect everything to be ready in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta. In a large skillet, I melt some butter and saute a handful of green onions, another handful of pancetta, a thinly sliced medium-sized zucchini, and some garlic. I add about a cup of white wine and then the mussels, and I reduce to medium and cover for 7 minutes to steam the mussels. 

I’ve got the salted water for pasta going at medium so it doesn’t boil too quickly. At 7 minutes, the mussels are removed and the wine and veggies are cooked at a higher temperature to let the wine cook down a bit. The pasta is cooking. I add about a cup of cauliflower to thicken the sauce. As I’m pouring out the cooked pasta in a colander, I add more butter to the wine and some pre-cooked small shrimp and chopped flat-leaf parsley. (I want to make sure the seafood flavour of the pasta is front and centre.) 

The cooked noodles are added into the sauce and everything is tossed, with the addition of some parmesan, until it’s nicely coated. I plate and top with some toasted breadcrumbs, mussels along the side, and excess sauce drizzled over the top of everything. Rujira goes back and polishes off the mussels I was silly enough not to find room for on our plates. 



Tomorrow’s leftover lunch has been reduced to just shrimp and pasta in wine sauce. 

Thursday 

Utter fail. The jerky dried out and a late night of work led us to a nearby restaurant. Afghan food: great lentil soup, lots and lots of rise, and falling-of the bone lamb in a garlicky tomato sauce. 

Travel tomorrow. We’ll be better next week, I promise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment